Treat your spiteful relative with compassion which is the most effective response to meanness, according to Christine Carter. Consider that your relative may be insecure, threatened or scared. Try a meditation technique to send loving thoughts to your relative.
How do you deal with a toxic manipulative family member?
If you’re trying to stay clear of toxicity, try getting in the habit of:
- deciding beforehand what topics you want to avoid.
- brainstorming ways to change the subject.
- answering a provoking or prying question with another question.
- letting family members know you don’t want to discuss certain topics.
How do you respond to a rude family member?
Here are some ways you can try to deal with them:
- Show empathy and sympathy.
- Call the person out on his behavior.
- Don’t give airtime to the rude person.
- Avoid the rude person.
- Offer extra kindness.
How do you tell if your sibling hates you?
Here are 10 signs that your sibling is toxic.
- They’re Manipulative. hxyume/E+/Getty Images. …
- They’re Overly Critical. …
- They Blame Others. …
- They Never Show Remorse. …
- You’re Always Exhausted Around Them. …
- They Betray Your Confidence. …
- They Actively Undermine Your Relationships. …
- They Ignore Or Ostracize You.