The pedigree method describes a selection protocol utilized during the inbreeding of populations of self- and cross-pollinated species in the development of homozygous lines. … Seed from a selected plant was grown in its own row the following generation (‘plant-to-row”, “head-to-row”, “ear-to-row”).
What are the methods of breeding?
An overview of our breeding methods
- Cross & selection. Parental plants bearing the desired characteristics are crossed with each other. …
- Line breeding. …
- Hybrid breeding. …
- Cell and tissue culture. …
- Molecular Markers. …
- Phenotyping. …
- Genetic Engineering. …
- Genetic research.
What are the 2 methods of breeding?
Basically, there are two methods of breeding which are as follows:
- Inbreeding : Breeding of the related animals as sire (male) and dam (female) are known as inbreeding.
- Out breeding : Out breeding of unrelated animals as male and female is known as out breeding.
What are the benefits of pedigree selection?
Merits & Demerits of Pedigree Method
- Excellent method for improvement of easily observable and high heritable characters.
- As pedigree record is maintained, information regarding inheritance pattern of characters can be obtained as and when required.
- Each plant can be traced back to its parent plant.
What is the main aim of plant breeding methods?
It aims at improving the genetic makeup of the crop plants. Improved varieties are developed through plant breeding. Its objectives are to improve yield, quality, disease-resistance, drought and frost-tolerance and important characteristics of the crops.
What is rice breeding and its methods?
An inbred rice variety is a pureline. This means that the offspring or succeeding generations produced by this variety will have the same genetic makeup. It is the result of a cross between two or more different varieties and subsequent selection through several cycles of self-pollination or inbreeding.
What is an advantage of inbreeding?
More than one ancestor can be duplicated in the same pedigree. It can concentrate the genes of a superior ancestor. It can fix a desired type relatively quickly. It may result in animals that are more likely to transmit their own traits regularly when they are used for breeding.
What is a good pedigree?
An animal is considered to have a good pedigree when all its known ancestors are of the same type. 60 percent of dogs and ten percent of cats have pedigrees. countable noun.
What is the difference between pedigree method and bulk method?
The bulk-population method of breeding differs from the pedigree method primarily in the handling of generations following hybridization. The F2 generation is sown at normal commercial planting rates in a large plot.